Monday, December 12, 2011

Child friendly hotel, restaurants, parking, and more?

Hi to all,





I have a ton of questions for you nice people:





Can anyone reccommend or offer me a list of the best child friendly hotels and restaurants in Miami Beach? I do not want to spend no more than $175 a night. I do not mind the flavor or nightlife of SouthBeach. I just want to stay at a hotel that accomodates a young child and that gives me access to restaraunts near by. I prefer a hotel that is located on the beach. I am coming in June.





Are there any 24-hour parking garages or facilities that offer in and out privileges? What are my options outside of paying for the hotel valet?





Do most of the hotels charge extra for chairs and umbrella usage on the beach?



If so, will I be able to bring my own umbrella and still utilize the beach outside of the hotel?





I was looking into staying at the DoubleTree Ocean Point Resort %26amp; Spa or the Courtyard Marriott Beach Oceanfront hotel...will they be okay? If not, please give me more suggestions. I prefer to be closer to South Beach and not so far away.





Any other tips or suggestions will be appreciated.





Thanks!



Child friendly hotel, restaurants, parking, and more?


NEM!





Let me give you 2 cents worth...





1. The Lowe%26#39;s and the Ritz Carlton are the most kid helpful South Beach hotels. The Doubletree may be the best idea for you, but it is the Surfcomber property that is on Miami Beach. Ocean Point is WAY up in Sunny Isles - a $50 cab ride from the airport and a less fun atmosphere for a small child. Also, the Marriott South Beach at about 200 Ocean Drive is on the ocean and the Courtyard property has a pool on the roof - but is a walk of 2-3 blocks to the sea (Washington Ave). Properties with space for visitors with kids include the Hilton Grand Vacation Club, the Casa Grande, the Crescent, the Bentley Beach Club...





2. There are public parking garages all up and down the strip that will run about $10 a day. Do not bother with valet service as it can run up to $30 a day!





3. Some hotels charge for beach chairs but not all of them. The beach is PUBLIC and you can bring your own chairs, your own umbrella - whatever you choose. You can stop by a CVS pharmacy store and buy a cheapy beach chair for the visit and save any tarriff the vendors might try to charge.





More here:





tripadvisor.com/鈥?165516





AG





Child friendly hotel, restaurants, parking, and more?


Hello NEM,





Here are some quick comments on several of your questions. I see AG posted something... which I didn%26#39;t read but if something here contradicts her, I%26#39;d listen to her as she lives there and I am but a visitor and SoBe is always changing so my info may be dated.





First thing, you need to ask yourself if you want to stay in South Beach or ';anywhere'; in Miami Beach. South Beach (SoBe) is the most southern two miles of Miami Beach. It is where the ';action'; is in that you can walk to tons of great bars/clubs/restaurants/Burger King/McDonald%26#39;s (for the little ones :) )/drug stores/shops and of course, the beach.





Family Friendly hotels in South Beach include Loews (note spelling) and the Ritz-Carlton. The rooms are larger and have a great pool area. I often stay at the DoubleTree Surfcomber and there are often children in the pool and families staying there. A less expensive hotel you might consider is South Seas - right next door to the Surfcomber.





Wifey and I just stayed at the DoubleTree Ocean Point Resort and Spa. Calling it a ';Resort'; is a real stretch but it was clean and safe but the place is a little tired. We were there over the holidays and I%26#39;ve never seen more rude guests stay at one hotel at one time which made it tough for the staff and other guests. However it may not always be that way.





There are few (as in very few) restaurants in walking distance of the DoubleTree Ocean Point and they only have velet parking - but the do allow in and out. I don%26#39;t believe there are any parking garages nearby. Also, know that this hotel is about 10 miles north of South Beach. Also, the beach chairs and umbrellas are NOT included in the cost of the hotel - however the few chairs and such in their pool area are included.





I know very little about the Courtyard Marriott Beach Oceanfront Hotel except that it is some two (2) miles or so north of South Beach.





To my knowledge, the city parking garages in South Beach do NOT allow in and out. However, I always use the hotel%26#39;s velet parking, which isn%26#39;t cheap, but the extra dollars to me is worth it. I%26#39;m on vacation and try to make things as simple as possible.





Each hotel in South Beach has different policies on the beach chairs and umbrellas - and it%26#39;s constantly changing. For example, the Ritz gives you the chairs but an umbrella (which you will need in June) is some $15 a day. The DoubleTree Surfcomber used to provide everything for $7 a day but this went away as a result of a stupid Class Action Law Suit (thank you very much lawyers) - it was the best deal going! Now they charge $10 each (run by a third-party).





The beach is public so you can certainly bring your own chairs/towels (I sometimes borrow my hotel%26#39;s sheet - but always return it - maybe a little sandy) and umbrellas. The Wings store (corner of Collins and Ocean Drive) has several to choose from if you don%26#39;t have one. You will see many people setting up in front, next to, and behind the rental/hotel chairs.





June is a HOT (as in very) time of the year. This makes for great water for swimming but LOTS of sunscreen and an umbrella are critical. But the good news is hotel rates are lower then so hopefully you will be able to find something around the $175 you are looking for at a location that suits you.





Oh... one last thing... If you make your hotel reservations today (such as at the DoubleTree Surfcomber cause I%26#39;ve seen this happen) using their web site, check their web site from time-to-time for the same dates you are booked. I have seen many times that as the date grows near, they lower their rates (sometimes substantially) if it isn%26#39;t filling up. You%26#39;d need to make a second reservation and then turn right around and cancel your earlier one.





Hope that helps!





Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment