Monday, December 12, 2011

Shark fishing? Smaller charters for Snorkeling?

Returning to KW in the beginning of March for my fourth time. Having already done all of the day trips with Sebago,etc., we were interested in shark fishing. Don%26#39;t ask! I have never even caught a fish much less a shark, but I have heard of other people doing it KW. I would like some advice before we get there. What about a smaller charter that takes you to cool snorkeling spots. I am interested in that as well, being as we did that in Marathon one time. Thanks so much!



Shark fishing? Smaller charters for Snorkeling?


I went shark fishing a couple years ago,



best thing I have ever done. I caught a



150 lb nurse shark. We used Capt Tony,



ask around you may find him. Enjoy!



Shark fishing? Smaller charters for Snorkeling?


Shark fishing is pretty easy--but if you%26#39;re splitting a charter boat with others, everyone needs to want to, because the others might want dolphin, billfish, etc .Can%26#39;t do both--baiting sharks around the boat scares dolphin away. Also, realize that the crew won%26#39;t make fish money (the boat%26#39;s catch is sold to wholesale markets after you leave the dock) so they MAY charge more for the charter, or they%26#39;ll pressure you to mount the shark ($$$) because they keep a portion of the sale. Solution--charter your own boat ($5-800) for the whole day or make arrangements with a capt or mate the day before your trip at Garrison Bight or Key West bight, or with the phone book under ';fishing charters';.





FISH ON!!




On a real good day in the afternoon when word has gotten around you might see all of the ships you mention at Sand Key. The crew will kid you about not geting onto the wrong one for the return trip. (I tie a bandana onto a line before going snorkeling just to see if anyone will ask why and then tell a talltale about getting on the wrong boat). Anyway, the only smaller ship that I have not seen at the reef is the Echo, a small cat that will take as few as 2 or 4 people, but I don%26#39;t know where they go to. You can check at the Bight.





Pjk

No comments:

Post a Comment