Monday, December 12, 2011

Shirttail Charlie's Back in Business?

It appears Shirttails must be open again- anyone been there? Looks like it is the downstairs only with the upstairs for ';banquets';. The website is up and mentions that a ';new menu'; is coming and that ';Shirttail specialties will be made available.'; I may venture down to take a look- some time ago I went there for lunch and it was on it%26#39;s last legs and out of almost everything on the menu and shortly after that the parking area was padlocked shut. Anyone have any info?



Shirttail Charlie's Back in Business?


We went to see Spamalot on Thursday PM, and walked along Riverwalk a short distance.....it wasn%26#39;t lit up that PM.





Then I saw a boat coming to the Pref Arts centers docks, and thought it was Shirt Tails bringing theater goers.....no...it was a boat from the Downtowner. I didn%26#39;t see it let anyone off for the show





BTW ....show was funny!



Shirttail Charlie's Back in Business?


I%26#39;m jealous- I wanted to see Spamalot and waited too long - the choice of seats was so poor I decided not to spend the money! Sob! Good news is that the show is going to be playing a long run at the Wynn in Las vegas- so maybe I can catch it there!





Interseting about Shirttails - I think I%26#39;ll try to drive by on my errand run on Wednesday- the poster on the Pompano Forum said she ate lunch there on Thanksgiving weekend...




I did go by Shirttail Charlies for lunch yesterday- open under new ownership but very dispapointing- here%26#39;s what I posted in the Pompano Forum for the lady who asked:





Shirttail Charlies is open and I was there yesterday. I have to tell you that it was pretty dispapointing compared to the old one. Quite by accident today I was telling an aquaintance about my experience and it turns out she knows the new owners and plan to tell them about what I found and see waht they have to say.



The previous restaurnt had two levels, but the new one only ha the bottom, more casual level open. The upstairs is being used for banquets. Signs which were still up throughout the area invited you to ';have your holiday banquet'; for $55 a person.



Many of us liked the more formal area upstairs , but I%26#39;d settle for downssstairs only if it were good. I ate at the bar and began by asking the barmaid for a glass pf white wine. She looked around the coolers , looked uncomfortable, left, cam dback and said'; all we have is a bottel of Pinot Grigio , but we can open it if you want..'; Huh? Only one bottle of white wine in theplace- or only one they would pour by the glass if i ';wanted them to?'; I was conffused so I decided to have a beer - only bottles , no draft..



For lunch I ordered clam chowder that was so salty it was almost inevitable and had the consistency of thjick glop. I also ordered a basket of conch fritters witha supposed choice of four sauces, but no choice was asked for - it arrived with red shrimp cocktail sauce. I had been hoping for the orange sauce which was listed as a choice, but no one asked and at this point I had decided to cut and run as soon as possible. The fritters were hot, but not crsp and very doughy with almost no conch . For the meal, 1 beer, cup of chowder and basket of fritters ( 10 fritters) , the cost was $17.80- it just wasn%26#39;t worth it at all. The menu is mainly sandwiches, 4 salads , the appetizer list and a few entrees , not any of which were fish filets- I think one was a mixed seafood kabob. Ther were two others at the bar and two tables of two people at lunch time. There appeared to be one waitress and the barmaid and a cook on duty. I asked if the Wtater Taxi stopped there and was told no. Another poster reported that he was across the canal one night last week and looked over and it was in darkness- I belive they may be closing early at night because without the Water Taxi I can%26#39;t believe many would venture there after dark- it%26#39;s a dicey neighborhood by car.



My friend says the new owners bought the Marina and are trying to revitalize that and the restaurant. I think they have a long way to go. I%26#39;ll be interested to hear what they think when she tells them how disappointed I was. My crowd used to love Shirttails, but I won%26#39;t be going back anytime soon, I don%26#39;t think. Sorry though that I posted misinformation about it%26#39;s status.




LuLu - It doesn%26#39;t look like we will be going back here any time soon. Our last visit under the old ownership was disappointing as well.



Harry




Is this the place with the pool on the intercoastal right south of all the huge houses? I am not sure if it is the same place... lulu?




No, it%26#39;s not on the Intracoastal at all- It%26#39;s on the New River , a smaller canal that runs east and west and goes through Downtown Ft. Lauderdale. Shirttails is directly across that canal from the Broward Center for Performing Arts and the River House. From your description, I can%26#39;t identify which restaurant you are wondering about- in my mind there are many that fit that description- maybe Fifteenth Strret Fisheries among others...




SeminoleGirl- Maybe you are thinking of Bahia Cabana. You do have to walk by their pool to get to the outdoor seating of their restaurant, which overlooks the water.




yeah maybe that is it... I just know this place closed down and was supposed to reopen. oh well. ill have to drive by.




Maybe the spot Seminolegirl is thinking of is what used to be Bootleggers on the Intracoastal , which closed down and is now in business again as the La Playa Beach Club. I remember going there in my lost youth for Sunday aftrenoon pool parties- it%26#39;s right next to Shooters- as a matter of fact, I think Shooters may own it.




The place I am thinking about is in pomano... or just south of it.





when I am there during spring break im going to have to go check it out.


  • highlight
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment