Thursday, April 1, 2010

South Seas Main Pool is open

They had the soft opening on Saturday and by the photos it is a much needed and very welcome pool. Nice lounges and there are cabanas at astonishingly high daily rates with cushioned teak furniture. The poolside grill is not open and construction is still ongoing over at the timeshare that lost its pool. That is supposed to be the location of the 3rd pool in the %26#39;water complex%26#39;. Lovely bay views from the pool. Its good to see the progress at South Seas. Remember: access to the pool will be limited to resort guests [booked thru SSR] and people paying the resort fee.





If you%26#39;re staying in a Plantation House timeshare - ASK ABOUT CONSTRUCTION. Its right outside the lanais of many units. I don%26#39;t know these buildings so I don%26#39;t know which one, so ask before you go. These building have bay views, that%26#39;s about the sum of my knowledge on them.



South Seas Main Pool is open


Thanks for the update on the South Seas pool. We have reservations at SSR in April and have been slightly concerned because we heard mixed reviews about when the main pool would be open. We last visited 10 years ago and loved it at South Seas. We are expecting things to be different.





This time we are staying in a Harborside guest room, thinking it will be close to the main pool and beach, convenient with a 7 year old. Wondering if there will be a lot of construction going on in that area.





Your postings have been helpful, please continue to share. Did you say there were photos of the pool?





KC



South Seas Main Pool is open


I%26#39;ll think you%26#39;ll be happy with your choice of place to stay as the main pool is right there and an easy walk with bay views. It really does look nice. I hesitate to send you to the website where I found the photos as its semi-private and I doubt they%26#39;d be pleased with with my putting it up here. I suggest you ask over on www.bestofsanibelcaptiva.com That forum allows photos in posting and someone over there might be willing to share. The photos aren%26#39;t mine and naturally I can%26#39;t post them on the forum on TripAdvisor in any case. There is still some work going on to get the poolside food outlet up and running but I don%26#39;t think that will detract from the pleasure of the pool.





PLEASE - when you get back post a review and put up info on the forum so we can share with others. Thanks!




Great news- how big is this pool? how far from beach villas? Thanks again for all yor help Tourmaline




a long way from the beach villas. You%26#39;ll need to use the trolley.





The pool looks quite large - a free form shape. There is a smaller second one and the third will be built later this year. Much nicer than anything they had before.




thanks -




Can you provide any info on the rooms - I am looking at the Harbourside waterview room -how far is this from the beach. What type of waterview do you have...any recommendations for 2 people in July is appreciated!!




I stayed in the Harborside or Harbour View building and had a view of the marina and just a bit of the bay. The resort map on the website is a miserable little thing - like they don%26#39;t really want you know where things are. Anyway, it was the big %26#39;U%26#39; shaped building at the marina with on leg facing the marina and the other facing the Pine Island Sound. The bottom of the %26#39;U%26#39; sort of faced south. Mine was a corner room and a so called %26#39;Jr Suite%26#39;, though it was not the size I%26#39;m used to. It had a nice open balcony. You are on the side of the island opposite the Gulf, with great bay views where you%26#39;ll see dolphin and watch the boats coming and going. There was a very active beach area on the bay. With the addition of the pools I don%26#39;t know how much is left. This side faces east. The Gulf beach faces west. Its easiest to take the trolley, but in that area you can walk to the beach in about 10-12 minutes or so. Plus time to reach the Airstream trailer up at the north end with food and such.





A bunch of building are kind of clustered over on the central to bayside area. Timeshare places and hotels rooms and condos. This is the most active area of the resort, or so it seemed to me.





There is a Harborside/Harbor View building in the timeshare program. I know nothing about that one other than the timeshare building has a very nice pool for its interval owners. Sorry. SSR has a habit of naming things with almost the same name so it can be hard for those of us who have stayed for just a couple of days once or twice to distinguish one from the other.





There are people who stay 2 weeks every year for decades and just love it there. While I have always been a fan of the location - it is BEAUTIFUL - I have never been a fan of the resort. Tried the old restaurants and never liked them either - but again, some folks were dedicated fans. A couple of days isn%26#39;t a real fair shake I guess, but I just came away with the feeling I was paying too much and getting too little and they were way too self-impressed. But whenever I was down the first weekend in Decemeber I would go in when they did the luminaria just to see the boats all decorated with lights. Then it felt like a fairyland and I kind of understood people%26#39;s attraction to the place. Different strokes I guess. I still would rather rent a house on Captiva, but then I%26#39;m not looking for resort activities. Just peace, quiet and a pool.




thanks for the insight. Greatly appreciated.




We stayed at SSR last week, coming home on Sunday. We were in a condo that faced the beach--maybe called the beach villas? I can%26#39;t remember for sure, Things were quite quiet--I used one of the smaller pools for lap swimming. It was pretty small for that, but worked OK because I was the only one in it. Visited Starbucks daily, drove to the Lazy Flamingo several times for dinner. Also visited Doc Ford%26#39;s on Friday night, anticipating a long wait, but the wait was very short. (Great salad.) Did not go down to see the main pool because I did not know it was open until we were about to leave.




thanks for the info- can you remember waht type of accomodation you booked? I read a January review that it was loud near villas but when I called resort they said no construction was happening near villas- we go mid March and look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment