Sunday, March 28, 2010

Capone's for Super Bowl Viewing?

A bar on Hollywood Beach called Capone%26#39;s is promoting themselves as a SB watching spot for Chicago Bears fans. Anyone familiar with it and know if it%26#39;s a good spot in general? Heard of any other local bars that have aligned themselves with either team?





All the bars near me were Eagles or Steeler bars earlier in the season, now I%26#39;m not sure where their loyalties are...



Capone's for Super Bowl Viewing?


Capones%26#39; Flicker Lite Inn is the name.





They used to have a restaurant in Chicago as well as Hollywood (in the 1930s or 40s. (This one was opened when one son trained for WW2 and came back to open in Hollywood)





It is on Route A1A with the back along the ICW, with docking and pier dining as well as interior. Chicago pizza is real good, but not like NYC pizza.





They have a lunch menu and a dinner menu. I can check to see about whats happening.



\



This place is next to Le Tub....(Americas best hamburger..according to GQ and Oprah....I disagree... the good hamburger is brought to you by lousy service.





BAck to the Flicker Lite....I think they have or had a place by the Riverwalk in Ft LAud. THe place in Hollywood still looks like a 1950s bar %26amp; grill right out of Hoboken, NJ.....(since I never saw a Bar %26amp; Grill in Chicago)





Caters to different groups at different times of the week. HAs sunset dinners and used to bring in the retired....but on weekends- much livelier crew....a Harley stop at times. Friendly staff. Last TA review very bad. Sandwiches usually below $10.00 (including fishes and some beef).....Food geared to Chicago Italian.



Capone's for Super Bowl Viewing?


I think the one in Chicago is still operational, which is why they are promoting themselves as a headquarters here for Bears fans coming to town. I%26#39;ve just never been there and wondered if it was an ok place to go. I suspect there will be many Bears fans ( and Colts fans as well) arriving without Superbowl tickets who will finally give up on scoring tickets ( that currently cost thousands of dollars from scalpers) and who will be looking for a place to view the game. Might be fun to be in a crowd of fans, but I am trying to find out if this is really the place. Anyone seen any local bar ads touting one team or the other? I haven%26#39;t so far...




Went there today for lunch. It is the place. I have to warn you, it looks older than I am,.,,,,and I%26#39;m old. It also looks too small to handle what the manager said they expected. THey are putting up tents in the front of the building, to help handle to expected crowd.





They are taking reservations, locals must come in to the place to make reservations. Out of towners will be alloed tocall in reservations (calls accepted only from non locals-I don%26#39;t know what a local is defined as.)





Manager out of towners should ask for is ';DOC'; (He looks like a kid to me...but its Doc.





They are still trying to repair the dock areas, and were putting up a new roof over the outdoor pier dining area....replacing the fabric with plywood. I would check out how fat the plywood goes over the pier dining area......because.....today we got bombed....its the seagulls and other birds....most went back inside....but it appears the roof OUGHT to be done by next week. IF not....find a seat inside or in the front under the tenting.







PARKING....they don%26#39;t have much....because the tents will be covering the front parking area. There is a small lot just past the bulding, but I think it only holds 30 cards....and may charge more than the usual weekend rate of $2.00 (free weekdays)





But right across the street (A1A) is the Johnson St Public Parking garage. I would park there....no worry about tight spaces, or deciding to walk on the b%26#39;Walk as you pay via the clock. (I think its one dollar an hour)





Finally.....There are big construction works on the Hollywood Beach Blvd ICWW Bridge....you will be able to get to A1A from the bridge (stay LEFT around the curve going N....don%26#39;t exit right going S....)





You can not get back on Hollywood Blvd from A1A going S because that lane is completely closed....you could turn around after you pass the Ramada Hollywood BEach Resort, and then get back over to Hollywood Blvd...or go N to Sheraton or Dania Beach Blvd on A1A.





DOC said they put ads in the paper, but in todays Sunday Miami Hearld only???? He also had some in the Sun Sentinal, but not today.





Place needs a refurb. I noticed the TVs....most are still CRT but a few were wide screen. Food is Very Good and service is also good (THey are looking for help all the time).










I forgot the phone %26amp; Info:





954-922-4232



1014 N Ocean Drive





www.flickerlite.com





Lulu...I still don%26#39;t know if this is the place you read about.....




Sounds like they are trying to capatalize on their Chicago connection, but that they are ill equipped to put on a good party- especially with those old TV%26#39;s!! I think I will personally keep looking- maybe some ads will appear in the future for other spots!! Doesn%26#39;t sound too terrific to me!





I think I%26#39;ll check with Bru%26#39;s Room in Pompano and Zo%26#39;s Off the Hook on Commercial and a few other sports bars around and see what they have planned! Thanks for checking it out Ken!

No comments:

Post a Comment