Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Post-cruise, Ft Lauderdale/Miami area or Key Largo?

My husband, 14yo daughter and I will have 2-3 days to kill after our cruise out of Ft Lauderdale in December and I%26#39;m debating on whether to spend 2 nights in Key Largo or to stick with a beachfront hotel in the FLL/MIA area. We%26#39;ve always wanted to go to the keys but it doesn%26#39;t seem to make sense to drive all the way to Key West for just 2 nights so I%26#39;m thinking about Key Largo as an alternative but I%26#39;m sure there would be plenty to see and do right near Ft Lauderdale and going to the Miami zoo would probably be fun for our daughter. I always assumed the keys had sandy beaches but from what I%26#39;ve read it looks like that%26#39;s not the case. We love to snorkel and I know there%26#39;s some snorkeling opportunities in Key Largo although it would probably be a bit chilly in mid-Dec unless we rented wetsuits.





Any input or suggestions? Dec is a long way away so I won%26#39;t be booking anything anytime soon but I%26#39;m trying to at least plan where we%26#39;ll spend 2 or 3 nights after the cruise.



Post-cruise, Ft Lauderdale/Miami area or Key Largo?


I have never been to Key Largo, so I can%26#39;t do a comparison, but I%26#39;ve been to Miami %26amp; Ft. Lauderdale many times. Your decision will ultimately depend on the activity level that you want after the cruise. December can be iffy temperature-wise, so if it isn%26#39;t warm out, there are still plenty of things to do in the Miami area: Parrot Jungle, Monkey Jungle, the zoo, boat trip through the Everglades or through the canals of Ft. Lauderdale, people-watching, shopping and eating in South Beach or on Las Olas, outlet shopping in Sawgrass Mills, restaurants and stores in Little Havana, etc. In addition to being at the beach, you%26#39;re in a major metropolitan area, so there will be concerts and shows, and sporting events. You might want to search online to see what%26#39;s happening in the area before you decide for sure. You can also rent bikes or roller blades and get some exercise. Have a wonderful time. I%26#39;m sure whatever you do will be fun. P.S. When I was 14, I went on a cruise with my parents, and it was magical. I hope this is the same for your daughter.





Post-cruise, Ft Lauderdale/Miami area or Key Largo?


Thanks Shelly, I%26#39;m pretty sure we%26#39;re going to stay right in the Ft Lauderdale/Miami area since there%26#39;s so much to see and do there like you said (especially if the weather is on the cooler side). We%26#39;ve taken our daughter on a couple of 3-day Disney cruises but this will be her first on a longer cruise (Royal Caribbean), I think she%26#39;ll have a great time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment