Wednesday, March 31, 2010

';Improved'; Pirates of the Caribbean - Good or Bad?

Hi all,





I%26#39;ve been many many times to the Magic Kingdom, mostly as a child and a couple more times as an adult (thanks to conferences). Pirates of the Caribbean felt old, odd and creepy even the first time I saw it in 1984, and it never really changed. It was old, odd and creepy a couple of years ago too. At least, that was my take on it...and I loved it each and every time ;)





Does the addition of the new parts, which are based on the movie, improve the experience? I%26#39;ll be back again in late March and I always buy a 3-day park hopper when I%26#39;m at a convention. It lets me sneak into parks at odd, random times during the day to try new attractions. I also seek out those wonderful nostalgic fits you have when an image from your childhood leaps into your brain unexpectedly while wandering around.





I%26#39;m debating waiting in line to see the ';new and improved version'; or skipping it for some other fast pass enabled ride, maybe even at another park....





Is it worth racing to the Magic Kingdom one morning and getting in the line, or should I leave my childhood memory intact and see something new that wasn%26#39;t around last time I was there....





Does that guys%26#39; creepy foot still hang over the bridge in town? Man, maybe I have to go in an see it no matter what!







Cheers,







Brian



';Improved'; Pirates of the Caribbean - Good or Bad?


Brian-it%26#39;s still old, odd, %26amp; creepy-hairy hanging leg %26amp; all. The ride hasn%26#39;t changed very much at all. A couple of wax figures of Jack Sparrow-that are dead ringers! Some of the dialogue has changed a bit, but that%26#39;s not really a key feature of the attraction. At the end there%26#39;s a display of Jack with the treasure. I think it%26#39;s improved enough to be up to date with the films, but maintains it%26#39;s nostalgia. I have no doubt you could find a clip of it on youtube, but that really loses the magic. I say go for it! When we were there 11 am a couple of weeks ago the line was only 20 min. If you went at opening on a Tues. or other low day in March, the line would probably be short- a lot of people head to nearby Big Thunder %26amp; Splash mountains at that point.



';Improved'; Pirates of the Caribbean - Good or Bad?


Also included in the ride now at the very beginning before you go down the ';short falls'; is a very brief holigram figure of Davy Jones in the ';mist'; of the fog.





This, and the changes potato told about above are the only new additions I could find.





However, because of these changes or some other reason, the lines for POC are now much longer than they used to be. No Fast Pass on this one either, although the setup is condusive to having it (two entry lines and such).





If you plan on riding it, go early in the day as potato also suggested.




As potato and Kat said:





You don麓t h a v e to go on the ride again because, I guess, you have seen 99 % of the actual ride...





When you pass this ride sometime this day, look when there is only 10 or 20 min and then go for it!!!





Don麓t wait longer just for this little changes!





:-)




Thanks for the info everyone!





It doesn%26#39;t sound like anything, other than the length of the line, has changed significantly. Good for Disney for not changing it too much.





If I see it without much of a line, I%26#39;ll get back on for sure.





Even now, it%26#39;s still the same goofy kind of excitement that I used to feel in anticipation of going there as a kid. Amazing.





Cheers,







Brian




bummer I had hoped disney actually reasonably updated somethiing... :(




Fair point Seminolegirl!





I suppose it%26#39;s folly to expect Disney to keep an attraction exactly the way I liked it as a 7-year old but there you have it anyways... Childhood memories are difficult to supplant.





Cheers,







Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment